A year in review blog post. Sure, why not?2011 was an extremely difficult year. Probably my worst (although its a close call with the year Ella died). I don’t want to focus on the negative so I will just talk about what I learned from it.
First, I learned how important prayer is. Without it you pretty much don’t have any hope. You may think you do, but that is a dangerous & arrogant mistake. I have been praying for guidance with regards to my photography. The problem so far has been the fact that I am like a split personality. I love the artsy photos, I think about them most of the night. I write down photo ideas all day and night… and that part of me would be totally satisfied with doing only those type of photos for the rest of my life. There is, however, two problems with that. Number one, I am not that good at it. And number two, there is another part of me that loves nothing more then a beautiful real portraits. So, what to do?First I finally narrowed down the type of portraits I love the most. It is glam photography. Basically modeling photos with unique set ups and make up (for me, boudoir falls into that group). So I am trying to focus in on that. It’s not that I don’t love babies or families, because I do. It’s just not what I was born to do.Second, I realized I have to spend a lot more time learning my art, my style. I love my photos to look like a day dream and I have always said that. But I lose that vision too regularly. I decided to spend all the days I am not working on client work creating my day dream photos. I am going to include the children more so I will get to be with them even while creating my art.Everyday I pray that God will help me become the best Catholic, wife, mother and photographer I can possibly be. This year, I had many distractions (that’s life) and I think I have learned how to keep moving even when things get turned upside down. You have to keep your eye on the (day) dream. So living through the worst year of my life did have benefits. It did teach me a lot. Now I just have to make sure I don’t forget ..and to keep praying! With God, all things are possible.I hope you have a wonderful 2012!!!
<3, THighlights of my year
- I had about 50 client sessions. That’s not bad right? About one a week!
- My work was published many times and 4 that I saw myself! Including a national ad campagine!
- I was a finalist in the Project Imagin8tion contest by Ron and Bryce Howard. Out of 96,00 entries I was one of the “best”!! (I will always be sad I didnt win it though haha!”)
- I learned. A LOT.
- My mentor, Brooke Shaden, (even if she doesn’t really mentor me personally) emailed me a couple times!!! Even offered a free ticket to meet her at an event!!! I cant even believe Im writing that, its just so awesome! (I wasnt able to make it, Ill always be sad about that too!)
- Oh ya! I got my Mark ii in 2011! I feel like Ive had it forever, its such a part of me! (Thank you A & B, youll never know what that loan meant to me)
- And the thing I am most proud of. I never gave up on hope or faith and I never stopped loving!!